top of page

What insurance do I need - will I be covered?

What insurance do I need if I am extending my home?

If you are carrying out extension works and are managing the project yourself, you should arrange extension insurance to cover the new works and the existing structure. This is because most home insurers will exclude loss or damage whilst the property is undergoing alteration or renovation.

Site insurance

Site insurance caters for both the existing element of the property that’s being extended and all the new extension works that go into the process. The existing structure is usually your house - so if the property collapses while creating a new opening for example, the renovation insurance will cover it and completely replaces the requirement for building insurance, which is not suitable.

During construction

All the works, including any temporary works, materials, plant tools and equipment need to be covered.

Public liability and employers liability

Public liability and employers liability is automatically included to ensure you are adequately protected. You may also need to consider a 10 year structural warranty not just to cover the new extension works.

Bear in mind, extension works need to be in place from the moment you plan to start works on the property and should continue to the point the project is completed and taken into full use.

71 Design Ltd, r/o 74 Station Road, New Milton, Hampshire, BH25 6LE.

Tel: 0800 610 2271


16 views0 comments


71 Design Logo White
bottom of page